As colder weather approaches, The B.O.L.D. Company want to remind you to take a few key steps to ensure that your home serves you well through the coming months. Please take time to check these items in and around your home and attend to any that need maintenance:
* Clean and test smoke alarms.
* Test and reset ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) breakers.
* Change or clean the furnace filter.
* Operate the heating system. If service is needed, you can avoidemergency after-hours charges.
* Adjust registers and confirm that cold air returns are clear of furniture or draperies.
* Clean the humidifier and change the evaporator pad per manufacturer’s instructions.
* Adjust or replace weather-stripping on exterior doors as needed.
* Check the fit of exterior doors: thresholds are adjustable use a quarter to turn the screws.
* Check caulking, inside and out, and touch up.
* Drain your sprinkler system.
* Remove hoses from exterior faucets. Freeze-proof faucets will suffer a broken water line if the water in the hose freezes and expands into the pipe.
* Inspect chimney and air intake for nests.
* Review safe fireplace operation. Provide professional cleaning at regular intervals.
* Check garage overhead door, tighten bolts as needed, and lubricate springs with motor oil. Have other repairs done by professionals.
* Clean gutters, check downspouts; confirm that splash blocks drain away from the building.
* Check the foundation, concrete, and yard for settling; fill in as needed for positive draining.
* Seal concrete surfaces.
* After snowfall, brush snow off of gutters and away from downspouts.
* Remove ice and snow from concrete as soon as possible; avoid using de-icing agents with damaging salts.
* On pleasant days, open windows to allow the house to breathe.
* Decorate safely for the holidays. Do not overload circuits or use worn extension cords.
If you have any questions, please refer to your Homeowner Use and Maintenance Guidelines, or phone our office for information.